Translate


Search This Blog

Featured Post

The Magic Book, c. 1100 BCE

Tales of Ancient Egypt:  Princess Ahura:  We were the two children of the King Merneptah, and he loved us very much, for he had ...

Monday, November 13, 2017

Papyrus of Ani, Plate 3 Translation

Papyrus of Ani, Plate 3.

TRANSLATION

(the hieroglyphs start above the "meskhen" and face right) :
"Osiris, the scribe Ani, said : 'O my heart which I had from my mother ! O my heart which I had from mother ! O my heart of my different ages ! May there be nothing to resist me at the judgment. May there be no opposition to me from the assessors. May there be no parting of You from me in the presence of him who keeps the scales ! You are my Ka within my body, which formed and strengthened my limbs. May You come forth to the place of happiness whereto I advance. May the entourage not cause my name to stink, and may no lies be spoken against me in the presence of the god ! It is indeed well that You should hear !'"

(Anubis watches a small text-line facing left) :
"Said he that is in the tomb : 'Pay attention to the decision of truth and the plummet of the balance, according to its stance !'"

(the second part starts just above the right-hand beam of the balance, faced by the Baboon", hieroglyphs facing left) :
"Said Thoth, the righteous judge, to the Great Ennead, which is in the presence of Osiris : 'Hear ye, this decision, in very truth ! The heart of Osiris has been weighed and his Ba stands as a witness for him. His deeds are righteous in the Great Balance, and no sin had been found in him. He did not diminish the offerings in the temples, he did not destroy what had been made, he did not go about with deceitful speech while he was on earth.'"

(the third large section starts in the far right corner, facing right) :
"Said the Great Ennead of Thoth, who is in Hermopolis : 'That which comes forth from your mouth is true. The vindicated Osiris, the scribe Ani, is righteous. He has no sin, there is no accusation against him before us. Amemet {the eater of the dead, executing the second death} shall not be permitted to have power over him. Let there be given to him the offerings which are issued in the presence of Osiris, and may a grant of land be establised in the Sekhet-Hetepu {the Field of Offerings} like for the followers of Horus.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment