Translate


Search This Blog

Featured Post

The Magic Book, c. 1100 BCE

Tales of Ancient Egypt:  Princess Ahura:  We were the two children of the King Merneptah, and he loved us very much, for he had ...

Monday, November 20, 2017

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 23, 24, 26, 27, 29, and 30b



A spell to open the mouth of the Osiris scribe Ani.

Words to be spoken:

May my mouth be opened by Ptah; may the cords, the cords belonging to my mouth, be untied by the god of my city.

May Thoth come, provided with words of power, to untie the cords, the cords of Set which guard my mouth.

Atum is driven back; he has cast away they who guard it.

May my mouth be unfastened, may my mouth be opened by Shu, with that piece of iron of heaven with which he opened the mouths of the gods.

I am Sekhmet; I sit upon the port side [i.e. the west], the great wind of heaven. I am the great goddess of Orion, in the souls of Heliopolis.

As for all the words of power, they are spoken, but what is said against me, the gods stand against it, the company of gods which are gathered.

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 24

A spell to bring words of power to the Osiris Ani.

I am Atum-Khepri, who was himself created on the leg of his mother,
Giving jackals to those who are in the Celestial Ocean, and hunting dogs to the members of the Council.

Behold, I have gathered words of power in every place where they are, from whomever they are with,
Fleeter than greyhounds, quicker than a shadow.

O bringer of the boat of Ra, your sail-ropes are taut in the north wind when you sail to the Lake of Fire in the underworld.

Behold, you have gathered words of power in every place where they are, from whomever they are with,

Fleeter than greyhounds, quicker than a shadow,
Which makes its transformations on the thigh of Mut, when the gods are created in silence, and Mut gives warmth to the gods.

Behold, to me belong these words of power, from whomever they are with,
Fleeter than greyhounds, quicker than a shadow; otherwise said, quicker than a shadow.

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 26


A spell to give a heart to the Osiris Ani, to him in the underworld.

May my heart be to me in the house of hearts; may by breast be to me in the house of breasts.
My heart belongs to me; it is at rest there.

I will not eat the bread offerings of Osiris at the eastern side of the Lake of Flowers when you sail up and down; I will not go down to the boat which you are in.

May my mouth be to me so that I may speak with it; my legs to walk, and my arms to cast down my enemy.

May the doors of heaven be opened to me; may Geb, chief of the gods, open a passage through his jaws for me.

May he open my eyes which are bound; may he stretch out my legs which are tied together.

May Anubis make my thighs to flourish, which are tied against me; may the goddess Sekhmet raise me up.

May I be in heaven; may I give commands in Memphis; may I know my heart.

May I have mastery over my breast; may I have mastery over my my arms, may I have mastery over my legs; may I have mastery over the deeds my ka desires.

May my soul not be imprisoned [in] my body [at] the gates of the west when I enter in peace and come forth in peace.

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 27

A spell for not letting the heart of a man be taken from him in the underworld.


Words spoken by the Osiris Ani: 

O takers of hearts, who crush [hearts as] you have done,
Homage to you, lords of eternity, servants of infinity.
Do not take this heart of the Osiris Ani in your fingers, this heart of his which is there.
May you not cause words of evil to come into being against him, because the owner of this heart of the Osiris Ani is the heart of the Great of Names, the Great of Words of his limbs.
He sends his heart which is at the front of his body; his heart is ignorant before the gods, the heart of the Osiris Ani, true of voice.
May he have mastery over it, not saying what he has done. It is he who has mastery over his own limbs.
[His] heart obeys him; he is your lord, and you are in his body; may you not rebel.
It is I who give commands; may you obey me [in] the underworld, the Osiris scribe Ani, true of voice in peace, true of voice in beautiful Amentet, on the mountain of eternity.

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 29

A spell for not letting the heart of a man be snatched away from him in the underworld.


Words spoken by the Osiris Ani, true of voice:

Go back, messenger of every god. Have you come to [take] this my living heart?
This living heart of mine will not be given to you.
Traveling, the gods hear my offering; they fall upon their faces […?] in their own land.

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 30b (second copy)


A spell for not letting the heart of the Osiris scribe of the offerings of all the gods, Ani, true of voice before [Osiris], be driven away from him in the underworld.


He says, My heart of my mother, my heart of my mother, my heart of transformations,
Do not stand against me in witness, do not turn me back at the council, do not make your rebellion against me in the presence of the keeper of the balance.

You are my ka in my body, which unites and strengthens my limbs; you have come forth to the beautiful place to which we run.

Do not cause my name to stink to the nobles of the court, who make the people to stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment