Translate


Search This Blog

Featured Post

The Magic Book, c. 1100 BCE

Tales of Ancient Egypt:  Princess Ahura:  We were the two children of the King Merneptah, and he loved us very much, for he had ...

Monday, November 20, 2017

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapters 10, 74, 91, 92, and 132



[This chapter has two numbers because it appears twice in the papyrus of Iwef-Ankh, upon which the numbering scheme is based.]

Another spell for a man to come forth by day against his enemies in the underworld.

I have cut heaven; I have broken through the horizon; 
I have traveled the earth to his footsteps.
I have taken the great glorified spirits because I am prepared with his millions of words of power.
I eat with his mouth; 
I chew with my jaw.

I am the god, lord of the netherworld. I have given these things to establish this Ani as Osiris without his rising[?].

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 74

A spell to raise up the legs and come forth on earth. 

Words spoken by the Osiris Ani:

You do your deeds, Seker; you do your deeds, Seker in his grotto, with my legs in the underworld.
I am radiant over the thigh of heaven; I come forth in heaven.

I sink down upon the glorious one. I am still, I am still at my going. I am still at the face of the earth when they plunder in the underworld,

The Osiris Ani, true of voice in peace.

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 91 

A spell for not letting a man’s soul be imprisoned in the underworld. 

Words spoken by the Osiris Ani: 

O exalted one who is praised, great of souls, great and powerful ram, who strikes dread into the gods, crowned upon his great throne, who makes a way for the glorified spirit and soul of the Osiris Ani, 

I am prepared; I am a prepared spirit; 

I have made a way to the place where Ra and Hathor are. 

If this spell is known, he will become as a glorified spirit prepared in the underworld; he will not be imprisoned on any door of Amentet, when he comes forth and enters the sky.

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 92 

A spell to open the tomb for the soul and the shadow, to come forth by day, and to have mastery over the legs. 

Words spoken by the Osiris scribe Ani, true of voice: 

The chamber is open; the sealed place is closed and lying down; the chamber is open for the soul therein. 

As for the eye of Horus, I deliver it; the ornament abiding on the forehead of Ra. 

[I] stride; [I] raise my thighs. 

I have made that great way; my flesh flourishes. 

I am Horus, the avenger of his father, bringing the double crown on its staff. 

The way is open for the souls; my soul sees the great god in the boat of Ra on the day of souls. My soul is at the front with the reckoner of years. 

Come, my soul has delivered the eye of Ra to me, establishing my ornaments on the forehead of Ra.
The light-gods [are] on their faces in the limbs of Osiris. 

May you not imprison my soul; may you not restrain my shadow. 

A way is open for my soul and my shadow to see the great god in the shrine, on the day of reckoning of souls. 

He repeats the words of Osiris. 

The hidden of places, the restrainers of the limbs of Osiris, the restrainers of souls and glorified spirits, the sealers of the shadow of the dead, who perform evil against me–may they not perform evil against me. 

Pass along the way for me, for your hearts with you. My soul, my prepared spirit–may they lead you.
I am seated at the head of the great ones at the heads of their seats.
May you not be imprisoned by the restrainers of the limbs of Osiris, the restrainers of souls, sealing the shadow of the dead. 

Do you grasp heaven?
If this spell is known, he will come forth by day, and his soul will not be imprisoned.

The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 132 

A spell to let a man turn himself back to see his house on earth. Words spoken by this Osiris Ani:

I am the lion-god who comes forth striding. I have shot; I have wounded [the prey]; I have wounded [the prey].
I am the eye of Horus; I have spread open the eye of Horus on this day.
I have reached the riverbank. Come in peace, Osiris Ani.

No comments:

Post a Comment